Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Styles

This past Friday, I was eating dinner with two friends. One of them started talking about animal rights and animal testing of cosmetics. The other friend and I took very different approaches to the conversation. I was trying to listen to my friend and understand the logic and heart behind his arguments. The other friend was trying to point out logical inconsistencies and counter with his own points. I have training as a lay counselor; my friend has training in debate.

The conversation reminded me that different people have different ways to approach conversation. I am glad to have friends who can teach me to think through arguments and challenge breakdowns in logic. I am by nature more geared toward empathy and understanding, but there is a space for confrontation.

No comments:

Post a Comment