Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bad Writer

I have a paper due Monday morning. I finished my first draft just tonight. I was thinking about why it took so long and why I kept putting it off. I realized that part of it is that I feel incompetent writing this paper. I have never done legal writing before, and it has been some time since I wrote an essay like this. Since I don’t like feeling incompetent, I kept on putting it off until later.

However, I realized that one reason I came to law school was to be challenged and to develop skills to be a lawyer. Before I learn something, I must recognize that I don’t know it. Incompetence is not necessarily a bad thing, as it reveals an opportunity to grow.

I’m sure there will be many experiences of my incompetence to come. Although it feels uncomfortable, it’s also a good reminder of how much I still have yet to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment