Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Anger is Love in Motion

"Anger is love in motion towards a threat against that which it loves." - Timothy Keller

Anger is a response to defend what you love from a threat. If you are angry about something, ask yourself “What am I trying to defend?” The answer will show what you love.

For example, if I am at the grocery store and I get stuck in a long line, it’s appropriate to get a bit annoyed. But if I get unreasonably angry, I must be trying to defend something. I am defending my time and my ability to use my time as I want. I am defending my ability to control my time. How dare these other shoppers threaten my precious time? The root here is that I am defending my ego, so in love with myself that I believe my time is worth defending.

No comments:

Post a Comment