Saturday, May 28, 2016

It's Dangerous To Go Alone

I was riding the T (the subway in Boston) earlier today. I looked down the car and noticed someone playing a Nintendo 3DS. I couldn't tell what they were playing, or even what the player looked like. As the train came to a stop, the person closed the 3DS and stood up. The player was a middle aged man, wearing a simple t-shirt, cargo shorts, and sneakers. He was slightly balding and had a bit of a paunch. Nothing about his appearance was remarkable or noteworthy.

But then he reached down for his bag. It was a backpack. It was a gold backpack. It was a gold backpack made to look like the Legend of Zelda gold cartridge, an exceedingly rare item that sells for hundreds of dollars on eBay.

My respect for the man immediately increased. If I could talk to him, I would say:

"You know what, gamer dude? Do your thing. I'm sure there are people who would make fun of you for your interests. They would call you a nerd or a loser, just because you're passionate about video games. But don't be ashamed about the things that you enjoy."

No comments:

Post a Comment