Monday, January 25, 2016

Third and final CLF Auction

Last week was my third and final Chicago Law Foundation Auction. CLF is a student-run nonprofit that helps raise funds for public interest work at the school. Students who work at nonprofits or government agencies during the summer don't get paid by their jobs. Our school provides a stipend to help them get through the summer. CLF is one source of funding for those stipends.

CLF conducts various fundraising events throughout the year, including selling Law School merchandise. But our biggest event is the Auction. We collect donations from businesses, student groups, and professors. Some of these items are quite valuable. For example, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is an alum of the school. He donated two tickets to the NBA All-Star Game in Toronto, which go for hundreds of dollars.

The Auction is also one of the best nights at the school, with live music and free food and drink. I'm happy that I got to play a part in school tradition. Although I'm a bit sad that my time at school is coming to a close, I'm glad that I got to make an impact.

What I really enjoy about working with CLF is how the funding can make all kinds of public interest work possible. Through this funding, students at our school can work on protecting victims of domestic violence, advocating for the homeless, pursuing innovative policy reforms, or any number of different causes.

As President of CLF, I have learned a lot about leadership and delegation through this role. Our team worked incredibly hard to make this Auction come together, and I am very proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment