Monday, August 3, 2015

You Are My Sunshine

You know the song "You Are My Sunshine," right? A classic at campfires and car rides across the country, its simple melody and uplifting chorus:
"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away"
But do you know the rest of the song? Here's the first stanza:
"The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head, and I cried"
I'll post the rest of the lyrics in a bit, but they're similarly maudlin. It is fitting that this song that marks many happy childhood memories tells a story of brokenness and hurt. In a way, it is just like growing up. The sweetness of childhood gives way to the complexity of adult life, of dying hopes and unrequited desire.
"You told me once dear, you really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me and you love another
And you have shattered all my dreams
I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me to love another,
You'll regret it all one day"

No comments:

Post a Comment