Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving for health

I am learning to be thankful for health. I don't have a history of major health problems. I can walk, move, and live without chronic pain. I don't have problems with breathing, migraines, or anemia. If I get a cut, I know I will heal fine. I can move my limbs and my joints without limited mobility.

I don't have to worry that I will die before my parents do. I don't have to shy away from making friends, to try to protect others from the grief of my imminent passing. I don't have to worry about people staring at me, feel out of place, be worried that some malicious person will attack me and leave me helpless simply because they can.

My mind is clear. I don't need to fear forgetting the faces of my loved ones, of losing relationships as memories die out. I don't need to worry that I would possibly be a danger to myself or others. I don't have slurred speech or become confused in my home.

I don't know what it's like to live with these physical or mental challenges. My thankfulness is not meant to denigrate, mock, or pity anyone with these concerns. I don't know their full experience and don't know their story, and my heart goes out to them. All that I mean to say is that I want to be thankful, to be grateful that I have riches that others do not, riches that I have not from my own effort or deserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment