Thursday, February 6, 2014

I will dwell

People who are not familiar with the Bible may still be familiar with Psalm 23. The psalm begins "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want." It is featured in many funerals, and most people may have seen it in a movie.

One verse that I find quite striking is v. 6 — "Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

I spend most of my time out of my apartment. I am usually at school or running errands. Yet even though I don't spend the majority of my time at home, my apartment is where I dwell. When I go out of town for a few days, this place is still my dwelling. Even if I go to a distant country for months, I know that this place is still my home.

With this in mind, this verse gives me great comfort. No matter where I go, I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Even if I visit a land of sorrow and bitterness, even if I find myself in a pit of despair and self-hatred, that is not where I am meant to live. This doesn't mean that I will be free from problems (verse 5 refers to having a table "in the presence of my enemies," indicating there will still be trouble). Nevertheless, there is this promise of goodness and mercy to follow me through the heartaches, uncertainties, and disappointments of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment