Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I'm on the phone!

Once, I was having lunch with a few friends. Half the time they were on their phones. I would talk with the person next to me, but the others would check Facebook or text others.

Imagine what it would be like if I said "Hey guys, I'm not sure how to tell you this, but I might not be alive tomorrow." Stunned, they might look up from their phones, concern in their eyes. "What? Joel, are you ok?" "Yeah, I feel fine. In fact there's nothing wrong with me that I can tell. But you never know what might happen. I might get hit by a car today, or be caught in a fire, or some terrible accident. My point is that this might be our last meal together, so could I ask you to put your phone away and be present here with me? I want to share this time with you, but it's hard to do that when you're not fully here."

Of course, I didn't say this. I just ate my lunch and was thankful for friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment