Friday, August 16, 2013

Be Nice

A colleague was complaining about a co-worker with a thorny personality. This woman was condescending and rude to her employees, and thus morale was low. My friend wanted her to be nicer to her employees, but was at a loss of how to change her personality.


I told her that while this woman isn’t nice, she greatly values efficiency and effectiveness. I suggested that my friend ask how well her brusque and biting approach was working with her staff (spoiler alert: it isn’t). She may be encouraged to be nice not from a natural warmth but from a desire for effectiveness in her team. My friend thought it was a great idea and would try it out.


Sometimes it is possible to convince someone to change their behavior not by appealing to human kindness but by leveraging other motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment